Thomas J. Browning
Mr. Browning has gained over thirty years of experience in domestic relations. He is well respected among Family Law lawyers. He has represented many notable clients while handling numerous cases in the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Georgia.
Since 2011 Mr. Browning has been recognized as a Georgia Super Lawyer. He is also an AV rated lawyer by Martindale Hubbell.
Mr. Browning received his Bachelor’s Degree in Liberal Arts from Oglethorpe University in 1967. In 1973, he graduated Magna Cum Laude and received his Juris Doctorate from Woodrow Wilson College of Law, where he served as editor of the Woodrow Wilson Yearbook, Verdict, that same year. Mr. Browning was then admitted to the State Bar of Georgia. He worked as a Law Clerk to Judge Luther C. Hames of the Cobb Superior Court for two years and learned the invaluable ins and outs of the justice system.
Following his clerkship with Judge Hames, he entered private practice with former Governor Roy E. Barnes where they worked together for twenty-three years before Barnes became Governor. For seventeen years he was associated with former Supreme Court Justice, George T. Smith and in 2002 Browning & Smith was formed. In 2010 Justice Smith passed away.
Mr. Browning is actively involved in several civic organizations in the City of Marietta. Mr. Browning has held leadership positions including; trustee at Joseph T. Walker School, chairman of Downtown Marietta Development Authority and a member of the board for Atlanta Lyric Theatre. Mr. Browning is a member of the Marietta First United Methodist Church and served as director of Georgia State Bank. He has fifteen years experience as Chairman of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education Successful Trial Practice Seminar. Mr. Browning is known for his ability and is highly regarded, both personally and professionally. As founder of Browning & Smith, LLC, it is imperative that his commitment to excellence is shared by everyone associated with the firm.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Georgia, 1973
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1978
- Woodrow Wilson College of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
- J.D. magna cum laude - 1973
- Honors: Editor, Woodrow Wilson Yearbook, Verdict, 1973
- Oglethorpe University
- A.B., Liberal Arts - 1967
- "A Glance at Summary Judgment", Mercer Law Review, Vol. 27, No. l, Fall, 1974
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Cherokee Heights Civic Association, President, 1978 - 1979
- West Cobb Community Association, President, 1983 - 1984
- Joseph T. Walker School, Trustee
- Oglethorpe University National Alumni Board, Member, 1992 - 1996
- Georgia State Bank, Director, 1995
- Semi-High Tech Trials, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Participant, 1995
- Downtown Marietta Development, Chairman
- Cobb County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Georgia, Member
- State Bar of Georgia, Common Law Marriage Update, General Practice Section, Member, 1997
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Vice President, 1984 - 1986
Past Employment Positions
- Honorable Luther C. Hames, Cobb Superior Court, Clerkship, 1973 - 1975